Monday, December 12, 2011

Google Earth Art

I found this photo on deviantart.com and it looks like the artist took screen shots and made a digital collage of different views of land on Google Earth.  I think it's a very interesting and creative piece and I'm tempted to try to do something like this using Photoshop.  It's not something I would hang on my wall but it's inspirational because it's rather simple in its creation but I've never thought of doing anything like this before.  Very cool.

Another artist I found that does art using Google Earth was Clement Valla.  His works are very compelling to look at, and even simpler than the previous picture.  They are effectively just screen shots of scenes in GE, but they are taken at an eerie perspective, with an almost illusory atmosphere to them.  My favorite of his works that I saw was a collection of photos of bridges that drape across crooked surfaces.  Here are some examples of his work:
I really like this guys stuff.

The third artist I found is Jon Rafman, who uses mainly street view on Google Earth for his pictures.  His gallery has everything from car crashes, violence, arrests, simple patterns, to an ET looking thing.  Even a couple people flipping off the street view camera cars.  His work is particularly interesting to me because when I first discovered Google Earth I spend hours looking for interesting scenes in random places.  I found a few things, but nothing of the magnitude of what Jon Rafman has in his installation.  Here is a link to his gallery: http://googlestreetviews.com/installation_pics.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment