Thursday, December 8, 2011

Improbable Monument

I contemplated a couple different ideas before deciding on what I was going to create as a monument.  I have always been fascinated by ancient cultures and anthropology, so I wanted to do a monument that involved these interests.  I decided that I wanted to make a monument that would commemorate a culture whose time has passed.  It always saddens me a bit when I think of ways of life that have been lost to time, and I think we have a lot to learn from ancient peoples.

After doing some research, I learned that the Ohlone people were a group of tribes and villages that lived in Northern California, the San Francisco Peninsula included.  The Ohlone were a large group with almost one hundred villages that collectively spoke eight different languages.  During the late 1700s their population would drop dramatically before almost reaching zero in the year 1900.  I read that human skulls were of great religious significance to them, so I made a monument of a giant skull, surrounded by four pillars to create atmosphere for the piece.  The whole monument would be made of stone, with the pillars using darker stone.  The estimated cost of materials is around $10,000, not including the labor for sculpting.  I have decided to place the monument in Golden Gate Park, because it's a fitting place and it would add a sense of mystery and intrigue to the park.  Preferably, it will be in a somewhat hidden spot, giving the viewer a sense of discovery when they first find it.  On the base would be inscriptions in the Costanoan language calling for people to remember those who came before them.




No comments:

Post a Comment