Monday, December 12, 2011

Trip to the De Young Museum

A couple weeks ago I went to the De Young.  I have been there before, but not in the last couple years so a lot of the stuff I saw were new to me.  The Masters of Venice exhibit was there, so I got to see a lot of really great Renaissance art that I've only seen pictures of.  It also helped me study a bit for my art history classes, because some of the pieces at the De Young we studied in class.  Multitasking!  I also saw the African art, and I thought that was really cool.  I'm always intrigued by works of art that have a purpose besides being art... such as masks, shields, or ceremonial tools.  A lot of the African art displayed there were things like those.  My favorite display was the Al Farrow Cathedral however, which is a model of a cathedral made entirely of bullets and gun parts.  I really appreciate the symbolism in the structure, in fact I was so fascinated I must have spend at least 20 minutes looking at it, there's even a human spine inside of the cathedral door!

No comments:

Post a Comment